Crete Property Consultants
Make Your Home An Island In The Sun
Home About Us About Crete & Greece Villages and Towns Buying a Property Contact Us Rentals

Property Search

Look For:
Enter keyword or ref number

30 most recent properties.

Click on picture for more details.




EC legislation allows citizens coming from EC members - states to buy and own properties in another EC state. Therefore, the rules and the procedure applied for property purchase is the same for all European citizens. Since Greece became a member of EC in 1991, British, French, Spanish, Dutch, German etc citizens can buy any kind of properties in the Greek territory. Specific areas of Greece are considered to be military and there should be issued permission before the contract is signed (applied also for Greek citizens). Non European Union citizens who wish to purchase property should apply to the Ministry of External Affairs in order to get prior authorisation otherwise their contract will be void and not legal. the lawyers in Crete are familiar with this system and can aid.


To secure a chosen property: a 10% deposit on the purchase price is usually required on signing a pre-contract agreement. This agreement contains the names and description of the parties, the description of the property, the vendor's title, the price, the methods of payment and any general conditions negotiated by the parties. Sometimes in the case of a  cheaper property this agreement does not take place and the parties move straight to the contract signature before a Notary Public with the two lawyers representing the parties. The purchaser should always be aware that no deposit or any other amount should be paid before the legal search of the property is carried out by a qualified lawyer appointed by the purchaser and acting in his /her interests. In case that any of the contractors backs out of the contract, the other contractor can sue for his or her damage suffered.


All the documents regarding the purchase of a property should be carried out before a Public notary, otherwise they are void and not binding, e.g the power of attorney for property purchase. Therefore, the property purchase contract is always executed before a Notary and in the presence of lawyers representing the seller and the purchaser. A purchaser needs a lawyer to act on his/her behalf in order first to check the vendor's title and his ownership (legal search) and then to assist with the Local Regulations and ensure that he/she will obtain a legal property title. The legal search of the property includes the search of the vendor's ownership as well as the search of third peoples' rights on the property (eg mortgage, right of way etc), and it is always carried out at the local Land Registry of the area of the property. Legal procedures in Greece are not complicated and when the documentation is complete the contract can be signed quite quickly. The purchaser has to be provided with a tax number which is unique for any person (and can be used for any other action in Greece e.g. vehicle purchase) and he/she has to pay the conveyance/property tax before the contract is signed. In case of the contract cancellation, the tax is refundable. The notary can not allow the contract signature if all the documentation is not complete, the tax is not paid and the deeds are not in order. Finally, the contract has to be registered in the local Land Registry otherwise the vendor is still considered to be the owner of the property and can even convey the property to another purchaser.


Notary and legal fees (except those of the vendor's lawyer), as well as land registration fees are always paid by the purchaser (if the opposite is not agreed) All prices in Crete are quoted in the Euro. Prices should be checked with the person showing you the property, who will then check again with the vendor at the time of a prospective purchaser making an offer to buy. We are not responsible for price changes by the owner.


There are three main changes from 1/1/14 

For Buyers - good news!

a. The transaction tax (which is at the charge of the buyer) becomes 3% from 10%. It was voted a few days before the closing of the year. 

For sellers:

Noi taxes 

c. Also, from 1/1/14, applies one unique property tax ENFIA which, in a way, will include the electricity tax. There plenty of differentiations depending on the type of property, area etc, but all houses, plots, incomplete buildings, store rooms etc...all will be charged property tax (some exceptions are made for rural/agricultural type of properties).

While we have tried to give a true account of the new tax changes, to give all buyers and sellers a guide for information only, we cannot give advice on individual cases, please seek confirmation from your lawyer or tax office.


Any house, flat or shop with a building licence since 2006 only if house built and being sold by a developer.  If a private house built sicne that time the normal purchase tax applies.

24% VAT


The exchange rate between the Euro and the Pound fluctuates frequently. All our prices are in Euros. To obtain the exchange rate at any one time you should check with the bank or building society. There are companies who deal in foreign exchange - you can see a selection them on the home page of this website - and they usually offer a more favourable rate than the general rate given by the banks, they can arrange the transfer of your funds and can also fix a rate with you for a future date enabling you to budget more precisely.


Inside the village or town
If you're building on a new property, the plot has to be the minimum size of 500 -1000 m2.  The total build area is usually 70-80% of the plot size on 2 floors and up to a maximum of 400 m2. Building generally has to be at least 2.5 metres from the boundary. Utilities should be close at hand, which is a plus.

Outside the village
Here your plot of land must exceed 4,000 square metres and you can build up to 200 square metres in total. Strictly speaking this means one building, but canny developers get round this by building three 68 sq. m. houses for example that are joined in some way. Owners of the three houses own a third of the total land – with ownership and position of each house identified on the topographic survey. However, should anything go wrong and a neighbour breaks the law by building on to his house illegally then all three are held legally responsible.

Generally a building has to be 15 metres away from the plot boundaries unless it fronts on to a municipal road. If it does front on to a municipal road then only 2000 m2 is required to satisfy the planning regulations. 

Outside cities and large towns building is limited to two storeys and building within 50 metres of the sea is not allowed. You also need to check with the forestry and archaeological departments that you can build and again you would be wise to make these clearances a condition of purchase.

Bear in mind that in the country it can cost a fortune to connect water and electricity if there is no supply close by – you may want to check out availability and costs here in advance.

Please ask for more information.


As a very general guide building costs per m2 are in the region of 1.000 to 1.500 Euro depending upon the materials used, in certain locations (difficult access etc.,) the building cost might reach 1.600 Euro.


Although many agents for Greece do not specialise in renting out property, most of them will recommend good properties which they know & the sale of which they have handled for short term letting to clients seeking to purchase. This is usually a free service of good will. Other agents specialise in letting and are the ones who should be approached if the property has been purchased with a view to investment.


During the last few years we have often been asked about Property Maintenance. Subsequently, several small companies or individuals in certain areas have set up in business to offer this service. Whilst we are happy to pass on their names and details to you, they do not form part of Crete Property Consultants.


Whilst EU citizens can freely buy properties in Crete, there are certain restrictions for those people outside of the European Union. However it is possible for non EU citizens to purchase in Crete. It will in general take longer time. It is necessary for your lawyer and notary public to apply to the Minister with all the documentation regarding yourself (curriculum vitae, six ratified photocopies of passport, certificate of birth and criminal record) and the documentation of the property (recent topographic diagram) and they will investigate your position in the community and ensure that you do not have a history of any kind which might be detrimental to the security of the island, this is because Crete is considered to be a border territory. Should you be prepared to go through this process then please fell free to ask for our up to date property lists.

 The Law “Creation of a Development Friendly Environment for Strategic and Private Investments” (4146/2013) of the Ministry for Development, Competitiveness, Infrastructure, Transport and Networks, facilitates the residence of investors in Greece through the granting of residence permits for executives of Strategic Investment projects. In addition, third-country citizens (non-EU citizens) and their family members, who buy property in Greece, the value of which exceeds €250,000, may obtain residence permits. ​​The Schengen Area consists of 26 European countries, not including Cyprus and the UK.

Holders of the Greek residency permit enjoy the same travel privileges with a Greek citizen in the Schengen Area. This means they can: Travel directly from their country of origin to any Schengen country Travel freely within the Schengen zone without lengthy customs’ checks
Reside to any other Schengen country up to a period of three months every six month period with the right of multiple entries Schengen Area countries: ​


When buying a plot and building from scratch! These are tips, and are not meant to put you off buying a plot and building the house of your dreams - but they might help prevent your dreams becoming nightmares! Please make sure that you have a proper contract for building work with the builder and/or architect in Crete in the same way that you would have in the UK if you were getting new building work or renovation done, for your own protection.

Architect and Contracts

DO make sure you are completely compatible with the architect you choose. Architects in Greece hold much more power than those in the UK it is not really possible to fire them. Once they have obtained your building permit they are responsible for signing to say the building's footings are correctly installed and for signing off the job so that you can have your services connected and your building is legal. Spend the time and money to take photographs of the land and get some sketch plans of your ideas drawn up here in the UK - this way you will be able to shop around for an architect in Crete who agrees with your ideas (in so far as they are legal within the building laws) without making the complicated decision of choosing an architect before he does your sketch plans. Make sure you speak the same language - and I don't mean Greek! For example if a sum of money has been put in the contract for tiles and you go to choose tiles with your architect and see some lovely expensive ones and you ask "can I have those?" and the reply is "yes, of course" this means that you can have them, but if they are for example £10 per square metre more than those quoted for in the contract then you will have to pay the extra .Check that IKA, VAT and the cost of the building permit etc., is included in your contract or not - if one quotation seems vastly more expensive than another it could be that the IKA, Vat and building permit price is included and the lower quotation does not include them. In general these costs are outside the contract Do have a clause in your architectural contract that you may choose the builder of your house independently of the architect if you so desire. Unlike the UK where an architect cannot also be a builder, in many cases in Greece the architect and the builder are one and this creates a conflict of interest. Bear in mind that a plot of land within the village limits or one with an old building on it (unless it is protected) poses less problems and expense than a plot outside the village/town limits.


DO make sure that if you are buying a plot outside the village limits you know what your costs will be for services. You might see an electric pole nearby and be told the price of the one you need to your houses is only £600 - however you could be the unlucky one that is just out of range and a transformer might be needed - a transformer costs many thousands of pounds and the cost of it is not shared between you and anyone else who might build near to you later - they are the lucky ones and you could be the unlucky ones. For detached houses standing in their own plots outside the village or town limit now the electricity meter has to be placed in a concrete structure on the edge of your land. This has to be built by a registered electrician and will be an additional cost to the connection and or electricity pole charge.


If there is no mains water nearby your land you might have to allow for a very large water tank to be built because water delivery is a set amount of gallons and it is more economic to have a tank which takes the entire load. If you have bought land which is rocky this could be an expensive item which almost certainly will be additional the quotation of the building. Sewerage

If the land is rocky building a seepaway tank could be costly because of the drilling involved, this is something you can get some kind of quotation on before you start.

DON'T Be put off buying the land of your dreams if the location is perfect, the price is right and your budget is just a little bit elastic, but if you budget is strictly limited do think twice since all sorts of things can arise with new build which are unforeseen

Buy land with access problems unless you are prepared to pay for the problem.

Buy land on a steep slope to the road unless you realise it will cost more to build, unforeseen shoring up, mid slide etc


We can introduce you to builders who are known to us if you are considering renovation work and are happy to discuss our personal experiences/opinions with you, as we have renovated houses ourselves, but we have not got a financial arrangement with any builders or architects who undertake renovation works and we are not working in collaboration with them. Therefore we cannot be responsible for the quality or cost of your renovations. You should obtain quotes and commission any works you require directly with the builder/architect of your choice.

Please make sure that you have a proper contract for building work with the builder and/or architect in Crete in the same way that you would have in the UK if you were getting new building work or renovation done, for your own protection.

Crete is a comparatively "young" market since it has only been possible to buy property there without a Greek partner since the early 1990's, but now there are some nice renovated properties coming back on to the market as well as modest village homes, large villas, and plots of land. Sometimes we take on good quality apartments, ones that have been built for all round living and not for the 7 month tourist season. Any pictures on the website will only be the tip of the iceberg in terms of the amount of property available and anyone seriously wanting to purchase in this the largest, and most southerly of the Greek islands should apply to the London office direct for up to date lists and advice.


Due to popular request, there are now some small property maintenance companies operating.  They will be prepared to inspect properties for absentee owners and upon instructions arrange repairs if and when necessary.  By arrangement they will also be able to arrange cleaning facilities for those who wish to rent out their properties and also act as a Poste Restante for electricity bills etc.  Please note that this service might not apply to anyone who has bought in a very remote area.  



Please also see NEW TAX LAWS above from 1/1/14


Illegal Buildings


Extension of deadlines for submitting the files with Greek engineers related to procedures on arbitrary N.4014.


P.E.K.A (Ministry Related to the Building Authorities), Deputy Minister Stavros Kalafatis, has signed a ministerial decision to extend the deadline for all potential home owners that wish to submit declarations for the 4014 Law on arbitrary until 31 May 2013 for the first phase (new statements) and until 30 September 2013 for the second phase (for both old and new statements).


The signing of this Ministerial Decision coincides with the vote in favour of the House of Article 34 "arbitrary adjustment issues," promoted by Ministry of Environment, the Draft Law on Ratification ordinances, which provides both the ability to make transactions and the issuance of administrative making the payment of 30% of the fine, and discounts that had deadline 30/1/2013, which also was postponed to 31/5/2013.


The Ministry of Environment is preparing a draft law aiming at an as much as possible, more holistic and definitive treatment of the issue of illegal buildings, institutional strengthening and fortifying a definite "red line" in the planning and building arbitrariness, the categorization of offences, the severity classification any arbitrariness, and ultimately more equitable treatment of each case.


The Energy Building Inspection aims to:

a) The assessment of primary energy consumption of buildings by end use (heating, cooling, ventilation, lighting, hot water) and total

b) the energy rating of the building

c) the adoption of an energy performance certificate (EPC)

d) The drafting of recommendations to the owner / user to improve the energy efficiency of building

e) The collection of additional elements of the building and electrical (E / T) facilities to be introduced into the computer database.


The Energy Inspector during the Inspection of Building records data about the building:

a) Building Enclosure

b) Heating System

c) Cooling System

d) ventilation

e) Lighting System

f) System for Renewable Energy and Cogeneration

e) Water Supply System, Drainage & Irrigation

g) parameters internal comfort conditions

 The Process of Building Energy Audit includes the following steps:

1. Award of the energy audit of the building in the Energy Inspector at the invitation of the owner / manager of the building. When assigning mutually agreed obligations of the Inspector (as ARC version, inspection report, etc.) and the owner trustee (such as providing general information on the use and building construction, ownership, delivery of architectural and electromechanical plans of the building as-built and design building insulation , installation of heating sheet, the sheet maintenance and regulation of central heating , etc.) to facilitate energy audit. It is the duty of Energy Inspector accurate impression of the building for inspection and the collection of these items if they do not exist or is incomplete. The inspector provided the opportunity to visit the home owned and communal areas for inspection.

2. Electronic Performance Number Protocol (AP) energy audit by the Special Inspector Energy Agency (EVEPEN), then electronic registration of generic elements of the building likely Archives Building Inspection. The same reference number will be used for electronic registration of the ARC and the final energy audit report, in that file.

3.Epitopios of its energy to the building inspector and recording / verification of the evidence provided by the owner / manager. During the energy audit completed the standard form of Energy Audit. The information recorded on the form taken by energy audit architectural and electromechanical design of the building, designing or thermal energy design, file maintenance facility (if any) from the emission analysis (real rate of return and actual thermal power listed in the package maintenance and regulation of the heating system), information of the owner / manager and the technical details of location recorded by the auditor.

4. In case of large-area buildings with complex electrical and mechanical installations, beyond the mere recording of data, may be used in equipment for measuring various parameters which contribute to the precise mapping of buildings and operating conditions. The measuring equipment may be used for the measurement of geometric features of the building thermal characteristics (thermal transmittance, surface temperature etc.) the energy consumption of electrical and mechanical systems, the intensity and voltage, the absorbed power, the coefficient validity and quality of electricity supply (harmonics, etc.), light levels and absorbed power of lighting and home environmental factors (temperature, humidity, air circulation, etc.).

5. Treatment of building elements by applying the methodology of calculation of building energy efficiency, as stated in the Energy Performance of Buildings KENAK. This gives the energy consumption of the building (heating, cooling, ventilation, lighting and hot water) and the corresponding energy classification.

6. Preparation of the ARC Building, as described in Article 14 of the Rules of the Energy Efficiency Building KENAK.

7. Publication of EPC, electronic registration of Building Inspection File with Form Energy and Building Inspection tradition, sealed and signed the owner / operator to ensure the Energy Inspector.


Energy Inspector is the person who carries out energy audits of buildings and / or boilers and heating and / or air conditioning, which has obtained a permit.

The status of Energy Inspector acquired by registration in the Register of Energy Inspector and the Minister of Environment, Energy and Climate Change grant appropriate authorization to conduct energy audits of buildings and / or boilers and heating and / or air conditioning.

The auditor should be Engineer, a member of the Technical Chamber of Greece (TEE) or Technological Education Graduate Engineer or Engineer who has gained recognition of professional qualifications in our country under the relevant European and national legislation.

The Energy Inspectors certified in EU countries may be included in the Register of Energy Inspectors and be granted appropriate permission to conduct energy audits of buildings and / or boilers and heating and / or air conditioning.



According to the Energy Performance of Buildings Regulations KENAK the EPC Energy Performance Certificate shows the energy rating of the building. The ARC shall include, inter alia, the general elements of the building, the estimated total annual primary energy consumption of the reference building and the building concerned, the annual energy consumption by energy source and end use, the actual annual total final energy consumption, estimated and actual annual emissions of carbon dioxide, and recommendations for improving the energy efficiency of buildings.

Each notary drawing up the act of buying and selling property is obliged to mention in the contract file number of the ARC and attach to this official copy of the ARC. In any lease, the registration number of the ARC should be given in private or notarial lease document. The tax authority does not consider leasing documents if not presented before the current ARC.

If the ARC is issued under programs for housing financed by national and / or community resources, the recommendations of the Energy Inspector listed as a priority, based on eligible whenever surgery.

The EPC is issued electronically by the system after submitting the Form of Building Energy Audit.

FEES Energy Inspectors


He has established a system of minimum legal fees of Energy Inspector of Buildings, Energy Inspectors of boilers and heating and air conditioning Energy Inspectors for conducting energy audits in buildings, as follows:

A) For buildings or parts of buildings of all uses outside the home:

1000sqm-up fee is fixed at 2.5 euros per square meter surface area of ​​the building and can not be less than 300 euros.

-Over 1000sqm fee is fixed at 2.5 euros per square meter surface of the first building on 1000sqm and the remaining square meters, the fee is fixed at 1.5 euros per sqm

B) For buildings or parts of buildings (horizontal or vertical properties) to residential use:

Buildings, many properties where the inspection on the entire building the fee is fixed at 1.0 euros per square meter surface area of ​​the building and can not be less than 200 euros.

Buildings, many properties where the inspection relates to the building department (separate property) the fee is fixed at 2.0 euros per square meter surface area of ​​the building and can not be less than 150 euros.

In-house the fee is fixed at 1.5 euros per square meter surface area of ​​the building and can not be less than 200 euros.

C) For boilers and heating installations:

- Total thermal power 20 - 100 KW inspection costs 150 euros

-Total heat output of more than 100 KW inspection costs 250 euros

For heating of more than 20 KW and above age 15 years 20% surcharge applies for each category.

D) For air-conditioning

- Total thermal power 20 - 100 KW inspection costs 150 euros

-Total heat output of more than 100 KW inspection costs 250 euros

The above prices are subject to VAT.


Quick Links

Villages and towns
Map of Crete

Contact Us

Email :

Links Disclaimer